Tuesday 27 September 2011

. Time to go! .

As you probably now know, my bestie Charlotte and I are off to Kenya this week to volunteer. We will be Volunteering and exploring in Kenya for 7 weeks, so I will be documenting my thoughts and stories on here as much as possible! I can't keep messaging everyone separatley so it's looking like this is the best way to communicate. PLEASE LORD BLESS US WITH THE INTERNET.

The organisation we are going with are called Marifiki Community and are based in Kenya. The plan is to arrive in Nairobi and stay there for a week or two, helping out at an orphanage as well as working with street kids. We will then travel to Mai Mahiu which is just outside of Nairobi, where we will volunteer at a refugee camp. The last couple of weeks will be spent along the beautiful coast of Mombasa, where we will teach at a school and lend a hand at a support group for HIV positive women and children. We are staying with local Kenyan's to get a real feel for the lifestyle, even in a Massai Mara tribe mud hut with warriors, staying in the woods and cooking on open fires indoors! BUZZING. We will also be exploring the country, trekking on Kilimanjaro and enjoying Safari life.

For some reason people seem totally shocked that I am doing this, the first question asked usually being 'WHY!?'... fashiony people can be kind and giving too, I'll have you know! I'm therefore starting off this blog with reasons as to why I am undergoing this volunteering programme, especially as I find it easier to put it in text rather than vocally.

 So yeah. If the picture below doesn't want to make you get the hell to Kenya to spread the love then you're a heartless bitch. Jokes. But yeah the mood of this photograph sums up my reasons for going:


The appreciation on their little faces is just something else, I can't shake the smile off my face when I look at this picture, especially the little girl in the orange who obvs just really wants to care for her bear! Tooo cute.

I have to emphasise, as some people don't see the 'point' in my travels, that I am not setting out to save the world and cure world hunger. I know that helping out for a few weeks will change very little on the wider scale of things, however my reasons for going are driven by simply putting a smile on someones face. I feel I have had such an incredible, happy and lucky life already, and whilst I am so grateful there are so many things I take for granted, I really do need to count my blessings. Reflecting on my personal happiness seems bitter sweet to me when I think about those who are nowhere near as fortunate as I am. I may not be able to bring world peace or cure world hunger, but even if I am embarking on the smaller things that we all take for granted such as keeping children inspired and willing to learn, motivating and supporting HIV + women and children, providing care for individuals that have literally no one to support them.. the impact is unimaginable. People are quick to ignore 3rd world problems as it does not directly affect them, or just throw money at charities with no real compassion for the cause... however it's long term, first hand care thats really crucial, and makes a huge impact on a personal level. These are real people, not just part of an advert on TV! I am determined to make a difference, no matter how small it may be.

I randomly developed a very strong yearning to travel and see the world, perhaps inspired by my incessant documentary watching, and I just want to be everywhere/see everywhere/experience EVERYTHING. Life to me is very exciting at the moment and I'm not about just limiting myself to fashion.  I have been desperate volunteer in Africa for a while now, and as I have graduated and worked hard there is no better time to do it than now! So there are my reasons.

 I cannot wait for the experience of a life time.

Finally I just wanted to say a huge, huge thank you to everyone that gave us donations for teaching materials, I can't even tell you how much of a difference everyone's generosity is going to make! Just look at the picture above! I just can't wait to show everyone the impact we will be making, especially thanks to your sponsor money.

Love you all, the next time I'll be posting I will be settled in to Nairobi! Ahhhh speak soon :)

Becca  xxxxxx

P.S Be sure to check my twitter for travel updates! http://twitter.com/BeccaDudley

1 comment:

  1. Arghhh wanna know how you're doing! Find an internet cafe already!!

    ReplyDelete